Meadville Lombard has named five exemplary students Davidoff Scholars. The Davidoff Scholars will attend the 2014 General Assembly in Providence, RI thanks to the generosity of Ms. Denise Davidoff, former UUA Moderator. Denny currently serves as the Senior Consultant for Development and Alumni/ae Affairs at Meadville Lombard Theological School.
“Being present at GA helps to shape my forming ministerial identity – my perception of who we are as a people, how the Spirit moves among us, and how I can serve our movement and our world,” said Shari Woodbury one of this year’s Davidoff Scholars.
We’re thrilled to introduce you to our 2014 Davidoff Scholars:
- Katie Culbert is a student in Congregational Studies. She is currently interning with the Rev. Roger Fritts as her teaching pastor at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Sarasota, FL.
- James Galasinski is a Leadership Studies student expecting to graduate in May 2015. Currently, James is the Ministerial Intern at the Unitarian Church of the North in Mequon, WI with the Rev. Julie Forest as his teaching pastor.
- Kimberly Johnson is in Congregation Studies student interning at Fourth Universalist Society in New York, NY with Rev. Rosemary Bray McNatt as her teaching pastor. Kimberly is also the President’s Scholar.
- Michelle Pederson, in Congregational Studies, is focused on community ministry. Michelle is also a St. Lawrence Foundation Scholar currently serving the congregation in Bowling Green, KY with teaching pastor the Rev. Peter Connolly.
- Shari Woodbury is a Congregational Studies student serving the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Columbus, IN with Rev. Dennis McCarty as her teaching pastor. Shari is the Spencer and Susan Lavan Scholar.
Since 2009, Denny has directed the UUA Davidoff Fund to provide scholarships for seminarians as well as congregational lay leaders to attend General Assembly. This is a passion for Denny, herself a long time lay leader in the movement.
Denny served twelve years on the UUA’s Board of Trustees, eight of them as Moderator. Prior to her service on the UUA Board, she was president of the Unitarian Universalist Women’s Federation, chaired the General Assembly Planning Committee, and served on the Ministerial Fellowship Committee. She is also a past board chair of the Church of the Larger Fellowship.