To commemorate the inauguration of Dr. Elías Ortega, Meadville Lombard created the school's first Chain of Office featuring our new seal as the center medallion and two smaller medallions honoring the institutions of our heritage: Meadville Theological Seminary and Lombard College. These three medallions were designed by a Meadville Lombard staff member Tomo Hillbo, Director of Communications, who is trained as a graphic designer.
The seal’s main motif is a chalice, the symbol of Unitarian Universalism, which sits within off-centered circles that are inspired by the Unitarian Universalist Association’s old logo. They represent our connection to the UU faith movement, as well as our ability to stay nimble and adapt to the changing world. As a matter of fact, the entire design was made asymmetrical to express our aspiration to never settle for status quo. The chalice is standing on the shore of a large body of water (Lake Michigan) to the east and a city skyline (Chicago) to the west, sending beacons of hope, justice, and healing out to the world.
Smaller medallions are placed on top of the center medallion, depicting the merger of two schools that created Meadville Lombard. Meadville Theological Seminary, a Unitarian school, was founded in 1844 in Meadville, PA. Lombard College, a Universalist school, was founded in 1852 in Galesburg, IL. The Meadville medallion features a Lamp of Knowledge, and the Lombard medallion features an elm leaf for their beloved elm tree that was known as “Lombard Elm” or “Big Ben.”
The Chain of Office also includes four squares that are inscribed with “Justice,” “Equity,” “Compassion,” and “Integrity.”